Friday, November 2, 2012

Controversy

I know we spent a lot of time talking about shooting incidents and gun control in class and this is kind of similar to that topic.

The topic that I want to talk about is bomb threats in schools. Just like school shootings, it's becoming an increasingly large issue in our society. While there aren't many cases of bombs being actually found, the threats keep adding up and it's gotten a bit ridiculous.

I was at my field experience earlier in October over at Fond lu Lac High School when the principal came over the loudspeaker to let everyone know that they had found a note in one of the bathrooms. Later that same week, there was a bomb threat at my old high school. The year before I started high school and the year after I left there were additional threats at my old school.

After getting back from Fondy High, I checked Twitter just to see if anyone had mentioned it (as is a common thing to do nowadays). Not only were there some tweets from people at Fondy, but multiple other schools from all over the country.

The fact that there were so many in just one day was beyond ridiculous. When did it become the cool thing to threaten to blow up the school? Is it our generation's equivalent of setting off the fire alarm? I know that the threat that happened the year before I started high school was just some kids who wanted a day off of classes. They're now serving in jail for a very long time.

It's a pretty serious issue; I could possibly understand somebody wanting to go to that extreme if they had been bullied very badly and had reason to not like the people in the school. But people seem to be doing it just for fun; not realizing the amount of time and money lost and the amount of stress and worry that is caused by this stunt. We have to come up with something to get through to kids that this isn't a joke or a lighthearted matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment